Kai in the sky

After countless people told me that we were crazy, I won’t necessarily dispute them, but I will be sure to tell them that they were wrong about taking Kai to Australia.
20120305-071840.jpg
As I alluded to in my last two posts, Kai flew quietly from Indy, on through Chicago, and to Los Angeles. We were quite impressed, but a bit nervous that a solid day of sleep would bite us when it really counted on the flight from LA to Sydney. We got even more nervous when we boarded our flight and found out that we would not have the bassinet that had been promised to us again and again over the past few weeks. [Huge customer service fail.] That little change of plans made me seriously question my judgement. Um, wait, I’m going to hold the loudest baby daycare has ever seen for the next fourteen hours?

Indeed, I was, well, with a few breaks provided by Chris anyway. Surprisingly, it went pretty well. Naturally, we were on the plane long enough for Kai to get fussy to let me know that her diaper was dirty and, admittedly, we had two screaming outbursts lasting more than a minute or so.

The first was when we had to do a diaper/clothes/diaper change when Kai decided that she needed to go more halfway through a diaper change. To her credit, she did calm down right away after she was clean and fully dressed again. This baby does not like to be naked!

The second was when we had to wait for nearly ten minutes for the bathroom with the changing table. Some dude was in there treating it like his home throne. He was in there long enough that I knocked and asked him if he was ok. He did not answer me, but he did promptly emerge from the bathroom.

I might have tried changing the diaper at my seat, but I could feel her little rear end rumbling in my hand, so I was sure that it was going to be a serious diaper. I was right and, after the double diaper change earlier, I was glad that I hung out and waited for a proper changing table.

Other than those two incidents, things went amazingly well. In fact, she cried significantly less in this twenty four hour period than in a typical one at home. Kai seems to be a sucker for white noise, so an airplane might be the perfect soothing device for her.

All in all, things went well. In fact, it may have been the least traumatic 12+ hour flight* I have ever been on. Normally I face unprecedented levels of boredom by say, hour two, but Kai did a good job of keeping me busy and entertained the whole way.

*economy

1. Kate said:

Great job and major kudos for taking her to Australia!

Thanks! And ‘they’ said it couldn’t be done.

(We’ll see how the trip home goes…it makes me nervous that the trip here was too good to be true.)

I know I would be nervous to take a baby that far; I’m a wimp. 😉 SO glad everything went well & no major melt-downs. Enjoy Australia!! I can’t even remember – is it part work or just vacation?

Work.

While I admit that flying Kai could have end up being a huge disaster, the risk taker in me decided to go for it and so far it was a great idea. 🙂

3. You and Chris are fearless travelers. I’m quite jealous of your globe trotting! Kai is a lucky little girl.

I saw that plane bassinet for the first time on one of our flights this weekend. I had to send my DH to walk by and check it, as he’d never seen one before either. I’m so requesting one of those when we need ot fly with our (hypothetical) next baby. Sorrythey messed up your request, but looks like you managed just fine.

Fearless or crazy, not sure which!

Hopefully the bassinet works out on the way back. I especially want the wall mounted kind, not the floor one. 🙂

4. jillybean222 said:

LOL at the airplane being a perfect white noise/soothing device!!! If only it were more cost-effective to do 12 hour flights – she would STTN in no time!!!

I know, right? She slept through the night after we got here too. Maybe we should just travel all the time!

5. jen said:

YAY Kai! 🙂 So awesome that she did great – you’ve got a seasoned traveller on your hands already!

We took K on his first India to Hawaii trip (24+hours of travel) when he was 6 months – and he was a trooper. I really think they love the airplane noise and it helps to keep them in a great mood for sleeping! He’s done that round trip 4 times now and we’re gearing up for another trip next month.

I’m surprised you two didn’t splurge on the Biz class seats for your long-haul (or at least upgrade using miles)?

I’m happy that travel seems to be working out for us right now, but I’m nervous about when she gets older and wants to crawl or walk.

• jen said:

it’s definitely tougher to keep them happy and content on long-haul flights when all they want to do is walk or crawl around, but if you can try simple things like coloring or reading while at home to get her used to the idea of sitting and playing it makes it easier to entertain them in a seat. K loves to watch the flight attendants do their safety demo – he even “follows along with the safety card” and will hold it up at the end like they do 🙂 plus, he loves looking out the window to see other planes while we’re waiting to taxi. I think if you’re calm and just go with the flow, Kai will, too! 🙂

6. I recommended your blog to a girl whose blog I follow after she wrote about having flying anxiety with her seven week old. Hopefully she checks this post out because I think it could really assuage her fears. I know I will be referring back to this when I finally fly with my baby!

Thank you! I hope it is helpful to her. Flying was much easier for us than I expected!