Kai and I – Two Months

Kai turns two months old this week! It is pretty strange to think about, as on one hand, she is intertwined in our lives like she has been here forever. On the other hand, it seems like she just arrived.

We had a few firsts this month.

• We got cleared for Kai to ride in the jogging stroller (in her car seat) and we did our first run together.
  • She allowed us to endure a roundtrip flight to New Jersey.
  • Kai started daycare when I returned to work.

Kai is getting much bigger, weighing in at 9 lbs 6 oz now, 3 lbs over her birth weight. I can’t believe how big she is now, although she still looks tiny compared to the other kids in her group of infants at daycare. She is also a lot more alert than she was a few weeks ago. I think that we are starting to communicate with an occasional smile, a bit of cooing, and many eyebrow raises. Her favorite expression seems to be “you’ve got to be kidding me”.
20120221-060027.jpg20120221-060044.jpg20120221-060102.jpg

One of the best things that has happened over the past month is that her neck has become significantly more stable. We still have to be cautious about the occasional “slinky neck” incident, but they are becoming much more rare. It is far less stressful to hold her now and she has become very good at holding her head up during tummy time, on and off the bathroom floor.
20120221-060412.jpg
In the past few days, I have finally packed up her newborn size clothes and she has just begun wearing the 0-3 month ones. In retrospect, I am glad that we went against the advice of many people and bought some newborn clothes as she wore them exclusively for seven weeks.

Since starting daycare, she has started taking a nightly bath. Chris is usually in charge of bath time as he seems to get a far more positive reaction from her. For some reason my bathing efforts seem to result in an angry baby.
20120222-002339.jpg
This month we also attempted our first road trip with a baby, but it did not exactly go as planned. Between Kai insisting on eating every two hours and us encountering a snow storm near the Indiana/Michigan border, we ended up turning around and going back home. Road trip – FAIL. Not to worry, I’m sure we’ll get this one nailed sometime soon.

All in all, we had a great month. I’m excited to see which huge changes we have during month number three!

1. Kier said:

It must be weird seeing Kai around other newborns even, let alone 2 months old – weighing in at 9 pounds. She is beautiful!

And the road trip sounds like a lot of fun…or not so much. Glad you made it home safely, even if you didn’t make it to your destination.

She is small. She has a cousin who was born this week weighing 7 lbs 8 oz, I am curious how their sizes will compare when they meet next month!

2. What a tiny little peanut. Babies come straight out of the womb weighing more than Kai. You just want to reach thorugh the screen and scoop her up she’s so cute.

Haha. 🙂 Yes, she is still pretty small. She does keep improving her weight percentile compared to other babies her age, but she is definitely below average.

Sorry about the thwarted road trip! It’s a great two months & she is growing beautifully. So funny that she prefers daddy to bathe her. At least it gives you a little break on something. 🙂

• Lisa said:

P.S. I was a 6 pound baby myself, so I think she’s just perfect. 🙂

And you are pretty tall today, I think?

It is pretty trippy to see how she behaves compared to her size. Total mismatch.

Yup, reasonably. I’m 5′ 7.5″ but I like to say 5′ 8″. 🙂 I’m sure Kai will reach her full growth potential, whatever it may be.

5. jen said:

so cute! and yes, it’s amazing how fast they grow and what things they learn. Soon enough she’ll be babbling and trying to crawl…then the fun really starts. 🙂 Can’t wait to see more pics and hear more stories of your new “norm” 🙂

6. Bree said:

She is so cute and perfect.

I will have small babies by nature of having twins, but if I was having just one, based on family history he or she would have been pretty big. We actually bought a few preemie onesies…now those are teeny tiny! I hope I don’t need them, but you never know.

Aww thank you!

Yes, preemie clothes are super small. They seem to be hard to find as well.

7. So cute! Good to know she is starting in on the “you’ve got to be kidding me” expression early! 😉
    And so tiny, although I think that is a good thing – I weighed more than she does now the day I was born {as did both of my brothers} and I’m terrified of the genetics that may require me to birth a similarly sized child…