Run: February 6 – 12

So I was missing from blogging all week. I know. You’re heartbroken. I didn’t think so.

The week marked my return to work and Kai’s first week at day care. We were very busy learning our new routines and trying desperately to squeeze everything in. I never imagined how much work going to day care would create. We have to wash and fill bottles, then create labels each day that comply with state regulations.

Kai also insists on wearing matching clothes each day. Ok, she has no idea, but the other kids are pretty well dressed compared to her. I don’t want her to look so schlumpy that the teachers in her class room develop a bias against her and leave her crying in the corner, hungry and with a dirty diaper. I think she cute enough to feed and change, but I probably have a bias as well.

Over the course of the week, I moved as many activities as possible to our evening routine, but somehow it still take us nearly three hours to get out the door between feeding (twice since it takes so long for us to leave), running, showering, diapers (also times two), getting dressed, and dumping our pre-made breakfast, lunch, and bottles into a cooler bag. I’m going to need to improve on that, because it is insane to wake up at 4:40 in order to squeeze in a 30 minute run. We’ll see if I can do better this week. If I could get out the door fast enough to eliminate a second feeding, that would save at least 30 minutes. She must be a European baby. Kai likes to savor her milk, having a few gulps here and there while checking out the world around her. She clearly did not get that trait from me or Chris.

My goals for this week:

1. Learn how to get out of the house in the morning in 2.5 hours or less.
  2. Write two weekday blog posts.
  3. Run five times.
  4. Cook “real” dinner twice.
  5. Unpack two boxes from India. (I am ashamed to say that they are not all unpacked yet.)
  6. Pack a real lunch twice. (My lunches have looked more like a series of snacks lately.)

Monday: 3.23 miles, 30:00 (9:17/mile; random pickups w/10:00 recovery)
Tuesday: 3.27 miles, 30:00 (9:10/mile; variable speeds 6.0-7.0)
Wednesday: 3 miles, 30:00 (10:00/mile)
Thursday: 3 miles, 30:00 (10:00/mile)
Friday: 3 miles, 30:00 (10:00/mile)
Saturday: rest
Sunday: rest

Weekly Total: 15.5
Average Pace: 9:41/mile
February Total: 24.5
YTD Total: 79.76

1. branny said:

Wow, thanks for cluing me in. I had no idea it took so long to get out of the house with a baby!

I don’t think it should take so long… I’m just not very good at it yet.

That sounds like a crazy morning. I’ll bet you are exhausted by the time you just get to work! Hope you’re doing ok and not stretched too thin. You sound like super-woman getting all that done. Just hope you get a few moments to take care of yourself too.

Last week was full of crazy mornings. This morning went slightly better, hopefully we can keep it up for the rest of the week!

3. Dana said:

Clearly you have super powers 🙂

Haha. 🙂 I wish!

4. Oh my gosh Brit, bless your heart. Right around the 12 week mark is when sleeping thorugh the night and longer stretches between feedings started for us. Just in time for my maternity leave to end. it was still crazy getting out of the house.

You’re doing an amazing job being back to work already, and juggling all these responsibilites. Really amazing.

I can’t wait for that sleep through the night thing! It happened once last week and it was glorious! 🙂

(Chris and I did not sleep through the night though. We kept checking to make sure she was still alive.)

5. Jill said:

It used to take me 2 feedings to get out of the house too….crazy! But…it goes by kind of fast. You’re doing an amazing job. I can barely get my kid to preschool on time and she can dress and feed herself and I am usually in pj’s or workout clothes – no effort required on my part! And you still ran more than me last week!!! Supermom!!!

I’m glad that two feedings to get out the door is not completely unheard of! The ladies at daycare keep telling me that I will be out the door in under an hour in no time (they don’t know that I run in the AM) and it kind of makes me feel bad that I will never even approach that.

Um, not that it matters as we will continue to wake up at the crack of dawn indefinitely anyway. 😉