Unpacking India

Our air shipment from India finally arrived a few days ago. Yes, you read that correctly. Exactly six weeks after our Chennai apartment was packed up and ‘shipped’, it arrived at our house in Indiana.

Now, during my last week off of work, I get to unpack it. Ugh. I am not a fan of unpacking. Not boxes, not suitcases.

20120131-082250.jpg

For one thing, I am almost certain that it will create a massive amount of laundry. Furthermore, it means that I will have to find homes for all of that stuff in my house that just underwent extensive cleaning and organizing. So much for being organized.

On the bright side, unpacking is going to expand my cardio options provided that the bike and trainer arrived intact. I think I feel normal enough now to actually sit on the bike too, which is a bonus.

There are also some fun things to unpack. We made an effort to buy something for Kai in each country that she visited, I am kind of excited to find all of that stuff. So far I found her stuffed panda from China and a jacket from Kathmandu (pictured above).

At least one item was completely destroyed in shipping. Chris and I bought a fairly large stone fertility elephant just before I left. A fertility elephant is a carved statue of an elephant with a smaller elephant nested inside. It is pretty impressive to see a carving inside a carving!

20120131-085310.jpg [source]

Anyway, ours, although packed very carefully, was reduced to dust in transit. Major bummer. I’m sure we will get paid for it, but I don’t want my money back, I want my elephant.

Here’s to hoping that the rest of the shipment arrived intact!

1. jena said:

Ugh, I also hate unpacking.. my bags usually stay on the floor in the closet for at least a week, or two after I return from somewhere.. When we moved into our house I did okay unpacking for the first few days, but after that; I Was OVER IT.

Uhm, Kai is so stinkin’ cute in her little jacket!!

2. jen said:

Kai looks so adorable! too bad about your elephant…maybe you can get one online and have it shipped over?

p.s. I love unpacking! 🙂

Crazy lady! 😉 Please come to my house!

3. Mama mia said:

How sad! They must have tossed the box pretty good Did u get it in India? Guess Chris will have something to bring to u next time he goes. We just got back from Sedona–unpacked–its all laying in our spare bedroom–now putting it away,haha. Maybe in a month Kiss Kai for me. Love you all!

4. Dana said:

UNPACKING IS THE WORST!! However, look at the bright side, you are unpacking the memories of your awesome trip 🙂 and for the record — Kai is so incredibly adorable!!!!!!

Thank you! I’m a big fan of her in her jacket.

5. I always loved getting those packages from overseas that we mailed ourselves! Only one time one box filled with TONS of good DVDs and books got lost and I don’t expect for it to ever arrive. But still.

One more thing: I want a jacket from Kathmandu! Me!!! I was just thinking about a trip there the other day. Too awesome!

I wish I had gotten myself a matching jacket. I’m totally going to be that mom.