Run: January 9 – 15

Last week marked my return to running, a week filled with ups and downs for me as I assessed the situation.

My first run on Monday was a huge victory. It was so much easier to run with my extra passenger next to the treadmill, not on it.

20120117-052627.jpg

As the week wore on merely the ability to run was no longer good enough. I began to realize how much work I have to do to get back to where I was at this time last year. Suddenly I have found myself trudging through 10:00 miles with last winter’s 8:xx miles nowhere in sight.

Yep. Back to square one. I guess I have to start somewhere.

Here’s the rundown:

Monday: 2 miles @ 10:00
Thursday: 2.25 miles @ 10:00
Friday: 2.5 miles @ 10:00
Sunday: 2.75 miles @ 10:00 – Finally this does not seem so difficult!

Weekly Total: 9.5 miles
Average Pace: 10:00*
January Total: 9.5 miles
YTD Total: 9.5 miles

*I hate writing this right now, but I’m hoping that in a few months I will be proud of the progress that I have made. In order to appreciate any progress, I probably need to document a starting point.

1. It’s hard to write about a pace your not excited about but you are running! I’m no mom but I’m thinking that the mere act of running makes you a crazy awesome superstar in the eyes of many moms! Heck, as the master of excuses I think you are amazing for avoiding the best excuse out there and forcing yourself to run!

Before long you’ll be able to head outside for runs – probably with Kai strollered up – and it won’t be about the pace. Instead you’ll just be having fun showing your daughter the world. Maybe a focus on primarily endurance will get you thru thus rebuilding phase?

Initially I thought that I would focus on endurance, then reality set in and I became acutely aware that, at least in the short term, I really only have an hour to work with between running and showering if I want to fit it in while she is peacefully asleep. Instead, I may turn my focus to running as far as possible in 30 minutes.
      Attainable Goal: 3.5 miles
      Reach Goal: 3.75 miles
      Rock Star Goal: 4 miles

2. Oh my, she’s so precious! I just want to scoop her up an snuggle her.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. I think your return to running is amazing. Has all of this been all on the treadmill too? That always feels harder.

I was at least 4 months PP before I could run 30 minutes straight without stopping. No idea what my pace was other than “slow”, but just covering the distance was a triumph.

I think you’ll find yourself even faster than before in just a few months. The time crunch combined with a desire to get back to “normal” quickly, usually amounts to women getting into better shape than before they had a baby.

I think the time crunch is going to be the biggest factor in my progress. Before I would have justified running a bit slower to get in more miles, but now I will probably just have to run as fast as possible for a short amount of time to maximize my mileage. At this point at least, there is no ‘I’ll just get up 20 minutes sooner and squeeze in a few more miles.’ Kai’s non-schedule just doesn’t work that way.

3. Stephanie said:

Who cares about what pace you are at, you are running again!!!! You will have speed on your side in no time. And from what I have heard, most pregnant women come back after having a baby and end up faster than before they got pregnant!!

So, you had a baby last month and now you’re running 10 miles/ week? Pretty darn amazing!! I think Heidi is right that in the eyes of 99% of moms you are a rockstar for getting back to working out so quick. It will get better & easier I’m sure, but I think you are doing great.

Silly question, but I want to get this right in my brain. Kai — it is pronounced Kie (rhymes with pie) or Kay or something else?

I’m an overachiever. Sometimes…

Good question…Kai rhymes with Pie.

• Lisa said:

That’s what I thought; thanks for answering my curiosity. 🙂

5. katilh said:

I’m sure everyone is sick of me talking about it, but if you’re time crunched and still want to fit in some sort of cross training, I’ve been super happy with the FIRST plans. You just run three days a week, balls to the wall.

But seriously, you’re a rock star mom!

I’ll check out FIRST. Thanks!

6. Jill said:

I have been there x3! It can be frustrating, but, at the same time, what is so wrong with simply being proud of the fact that you can run 2-3 miles a month PP (has it even been that long)?!?! My 1st run was about 5 weeks PP and I made it 3 miles……..@10:25 pace! It only got better from there. My latest addition is 5 months old and I am back to my old happy zone – 8:xx miles 🙂 You will be there soon enough 🙂

You’re absolutely right, I should be happy with simply running a few miles, but, like you, I want to do better than ‘just running’. I’ll get there. 🙂

7. I have NO idea, ZERO, what it is like trying an shoehorn runs in around the needs and schedule of an infant after having one’s body wrung through the gauntlet of pregnancy, labor, childbirth, and the accompanying hormone circus, but I suspect this is one of those “how do you eat an elephant? one bit at a time” situations.

(Er… maybe there is a more appropriate/less culturally insensitive mantra for someone who just returned from India… one that doesn’t involve eating elephants? Or maybe I am confused and eating elephants is okay, just not cows…?)

Haha. Yep, one bite at a time. I’m figuring it out. It will be more interesting when I go back to work in a few weeks and have more rigid schedule.

Eating elephants is fine. Eating cows can be also, just depends on who you ask.