Triumph

Today was a big day. We ventured north, nearly to Indy, to visit our not so local running store.

20120114-133030.jpg

After just over two years wearing Mizuno Wave Creation 11’s, I decided that it was time to try out a new model of shoe. It may or may not be a coincidence that for the past two years I have battled more running injuries than in the preceding 14 years of running combined. I haven’t really come to a solid conclusion about that, but, since the rest of the world has moved on to Wave Creation 13’s, and since there is a chance that the 11’s were not doing me any favors, I decided to make a change.

After trying on Wave Riders, Ghosts, and a few more obscure shoe models, I threw down for a pair of Saucony Triumphs that I am beyond eager to take for a spin tomorrow. They feel great so far, I can’t say that I am quite as excited about their bold look, but for once I followed through with picking shoes solely based on feel, trying to remain blind to their color. Does anyone else get easily excited by pretty shoes or turned off by strange colored ones? [Raises hand all alone.]

Perhaps almost as exciting as getting new shoes is that we made it through like a billion errands without a baby meltdown. We got through Babies ‘R Us (that store is scary and intimidating to me, I hope I never need to go back*), the running store, Chris’ haircut, the dry cleaner, and Sam’s Club. Pretty stellar. I’m not sure if we are going to pay for this later or if we paid in advance with the previous two sleepless nights? Probably both. Sleep is way overrated anyway.

More on the new kicks after a trial run. 🙂

*I should note that Kai and I did not even go into BRU. Chris’ stressed out and confused phone calls from the store out to me waiting in the car were enough to keep me away from that place for a long time.

1. Jena said:

Love the new shoes! They are very pretty! I like wild looking shoes! My pure cadence are fun colors – unfortunately I don’t love them. I think I just need to wear them a little bit more (i hope).

2. Anonymous said:

nice shoes!!!

3 kids later BRU scares the bejesus out of me. i had to go today (sans kiddos) to get a gift for a friend who is expecting and it was scary! not going back again unless i absolutely have too!!!

outings are easier now than they (probably) ever will be…enjoy it! diaper bag and breast or bottle and you’re good to go! newborn babies (theoretically) sleep all the time, excluding nighttime, or course!

So you are telling me that it only gets worse from here?

I think I will still prefer difficult outings but more full nights of sleep. We’ll see, ask me at this time next year.

3. Anonymous said:

Hmm…your post makes me think I can start a new career as a personal shopper for baby items. I don’t find BRU intimidating since I’ve come to realize that half of what is sold there really isn’t necessary, and it’s easier when I’m not spending my money.

Lots of good stuff accomplished today!! I’m also a bit wary of “too crazy” shoes. It seems like a lot of them are wild looking colors to me now. I also did my shoe shopping today. I still feel like they’re a “bit much” but they’re already growing on me. I’ll blog about them soon.

Good job making Chris tackle BRS. 🙂

I swear that running shoes have become more wild over the past few years.

Interestingly, it just occurred to me that I have six pairs of running socks that match my crazy new shoes. I was compelled to buy the socks because they were on like mega clearance sale; I remember thinking that I could see why.

5. I ran in Mizuno Wave Riders for two years and when I needed to try out something new I attempted Brooks Ghosts…but ended up with Saucony Triumphs. I love my Triumphs and I’m pretty sure they love me back. Hopefully you’re just as lucky!

Oh yes, BRU would be terrifying!

6. Kierstan said:

I love that when I was younger, I would buy shoes solely on looks alone. My mom would always ask if they did in fact feel the best as well…and of course, I would fib just a bit.

Now, I don’t even think twice to ask if there is another color option. Whatever feels good is what goes on my feet!

I remember my mom parading us around shoe stores asking us if our shoes fit.