My cooking, and baking (?!?!), over the past few weeks has been decidedly un-Brittany. Who is this girl in my kitchen making cupcakes and cookies? Chris sure likes having her around. I do too, but maybe only until my bathroom scale arrives from India. Until then, I’ll bake with reckless abandon.
So about that bathroom scale arriving from India. Someday it is going to arrive, along with our other possessions, via an air freight shipment from Chennai. Twenty eight days ago, Chris watched as an Indian moving crew packed up our apartment. Just this week we received reassurance that our shipment was in fact at the airport in Chennai. I can’t even imagine how long it would take to get out stuff if it had been shipped on the water!
On some level, I am happy not to have the scale. I am content knowing that my pre-pregnancy jeans all zip. That makes me feel good about myself and content with my lack of exercise and above average sweets consumption. Hopefully I am not in for a rude awakening when it finally gets here.
Another item that I am not really missing yet is my bicycle. Although I feel normal enough to run now, I am definitely not up for sitting on a bike saddle yet. Surprising, I know. Who would have guessed?
Overall, I do not have too many things stuck in transit that I am worried about, and, in retrospect, I am glad that I packed the third suitcase that I got charged for. Chris, on the other hand, took the opposite packing approach from me and shipped most of his clothes. I am still not sure what possessed him to do that. It will make for some interesting work outfits for him. Not that it matters if he has dress shirts or not; our iron is at the Chennai airport. Go figure.
In the meantime, I will continue to bake, and eat, batch after batch of these tasty cookies.
Caramel-Toffee or White Chocolate Macaroons
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Either 1/2 cup Heath Bar chips + 1/2 cup caramel bits or 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whip egg whites, vanilla extract, cream of tartar, and salt in a food processor with egg whip or in a mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar and continue to beat until stiff.
- Fold in chips using a rubber scraper.
- Using a spoon, drop batter onto the baking sheet leaving 1″ gaps between cookies to allow for spreading.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes depending on the size of cookies.
- Slide parchment from baking sheets and allow cookies to cool on the parchment.
Servings ~ 15 (1 cookie/serving)
Calories (White Chocolate) ~ 98, Fat ~ 3.5 g, Carbohydrates ~ 16.7 g, Protein ~ 1.4 g
Calories (Caramel-Toffee) ~ 144, Fat ~ 4.4 g, Carbohydrates ~ 25.9 g, Protein ~ 1.6 g