Learning curve

20120110-011135.jpgI have been MIA for the most part this past week for the past few weeks as we have had guests to entertain, a baby that we are learning how to take care of, and quite a few home improvement projects in progress. I am happy to report that we have finally passed ‘Tiny Baby 101’. I’m sure that she will grow, things will change, and we will be learning a lot more soon, but for now things seem to be under control.

We have been learning many things lately, most importantly, how to swaddle. Baby Kai gets quite worked up when she is unswaddled, yet she spends the majority of her swaddled time wriggling around undoing her little baby burrito. Figures.

20120110-011338.jpg

On Kai’s second full day at home, Chris went all out cooking a full-on Christmas feast for her first Christmas. I was impressed that he had the energy to make turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and gravy after our second sleepless night at home.

Kai surprised me with a Christmas gift of new pots and pans. Very sweet of her, especially since she only had four days notice.

20120110-012315.jpg

We spent most of Kai’s first weekend at home transforming our junk room extra storage room into a nursery. I am so glad that I threw down and bought a huge load of baby paraphernalia the week before she was born. I was supposed to be doing that during the week between Christmas and New Year’s, but for some reason I did it ahead of time. Miraculously, the nursery furniture arrived at our house the day that she was born. Whew!

In other exciting news that car that I wrote about buying arrived on Christmas Eve morning. I still don’t have tags for it, long story, and did not even bother to go sit in it until three days after it arrived. Amazing how priorities can change in a week.

[For the record, car buying sans Chris worked out just fine. He is as happy with my choice as I am.]

Since Kai’s arrival, we have been in home improvement mode. I’m not sure if this is delayed nesting, or what, but we have been scratching off long-standing to-do list items left and right.

Now that we are finding our groove, I anticipate that I will be able to return to my regularly scheduled blogging. Um, probably during pre-dawn hours, possibly one-handed with a sleepless, screaming baby in the other hand.

1. Kierstan said:

Busy busy!!! And very adorable photos.

2. Bree said:

Congrats again! She is amazing.

3. So cute! Glad you’re settling into a routine. Sounds like things have been a whirlwind in your household for the past month.

4. jena said:

You look gorgeous, and Baby Kai is adorable! Congrats again! What a crazy situation, to be home just a few weeks before she was born, without a nursery ready! Whew, I bet you are exhausted! You’ve been a busy Mama!

5. Jill said:

hehehe, that sounds so familiar – my first baby arrived 3 weeks early and everything baby was in boxes…the only reason i had anything was b/c i had a baby shower 2 weeks prior! i always thought first babies were less than punctual so i didn’t feel any need to rush…ellie had other ideas…she’s 4.5 now and still in a hurry for everything!!! congrats again! i’m anxiously awaiting the birth story of your little speedster (hint, hint)!!!

Birth story coming soon.

• Anonymous said:

yay! can’t wait!!!

What a wonderful family! So fun to see pictures. And I agree with Jena that you, Brit, are looking great. 🙂

Love the picture with Duke. He looks so big next to her. How are the canines adjusting to having a new little person around the house?

The dogs seem to think that she is pretty loud. Duke keeps a wide girth, which is exactly what we want him to do. Tacia goes into a different room anytime she is crying, I think the crying might stress her out a bit. I don’t blame her!

7. Stephanie said:

She’s adorable! Congrats again!!!

8. Love the photos…she is adorable! And it sounds like everything is going great, lots of changes for you! How early was she?

Have fun with your wiggling bundle, pretty new car and ever changing home!

So far so good! She was four weeks early, so it was a big surprise. In fact, the night before she was born I was whining to Chris that I did not think I could stand to be pregnant for four more weeks. Careful what you wish for, huh? I mean I wanted her to arrive, but four weeks early is a bit too early!

9. jen said:

yay for baby Kai pictures! 🙂 And it’s awesome that her name is Hawaiian for “ocean” – hopefully she grows up loving the sea as much as her dad!

I’m sure your shipment from Chennai will arrive soon! It can’t take that long, can it?

You made the connection! 🙂 Chris loves the name Kai because it means ocean in Hawaiian. She’s off to a good start, she went surfing for the first time back in June.