Run (Or Not): May 15 – 21

Disclaimer: If you are eating or if you are easily grossed out by running-related foot disfigurements, skip this post.

Let’s talk toenails.

I get asked a lot of questions about toenails by new runners and non-runners alike. New runners are often worried about theirs, while the non-runners tend to be more concerned with the state of my toenails, especially after long, hilly races or long, steep descents.

The toenails in question today fell victim to Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Lucky for me, they are not mine.

Enough about that. Let’s cover the important stuff:

My toenails turned black/brown/purple after my last run, are they going to fall off? It is pretty likely.

Is it going to hurt? Nope. You shouldn’t feel a thing. In fact, for most people it is a relief when they do because they will feel annoying, but not painful, in the days leading up to their demise.

Can I wear open toed shoes ever again? Sure. Notice the nail-shaped paint job on the toes above. After several hours barefoot together, I was completely unaware that they were fakies until their owner pointed it out.

Will they ever come back? I can’t make any promises here, I can only vouch for mine coming back every single time.

My question: Has anyone ever talked a pedicurist into painting nail shapes onto their toes? I haven’t gotten up the nerve to ask yet.

This weeks cardio was all toe-sparing bike rides. Surprise, surprise.

Sunday: NROLFW Workout 7-2
Monday: 15 miles bike trainer
Tuesday: NROLFW Workout 7-3, 12 miles bike trainer
Wednesday: 14 miles bike trainer
Thursday: 15 miles bike trainer
Friday: NROLFW Workout 7-4
Saturday: rest

Running Weekly Total: 0
Running 2011 Total: 307.36
Miles on Shoes: 248.96
Miles on New Shoes: 27.4

Cycling Weekly Total: 56 (measurable)
Cycling May Total: 96.5 (measurable)
Cycling 2011 Total: 597.95 (measurable)

1. Lori said:

Haha…lovelovelove this post! I remember flipping out the first time one of my toenails turned gray, and my poor sister had to talk me off the proverbial ledge to keep me from having a panic attack 😀 Now, I don’t even flinch. It’s amazing how much painting the skin where the nail was can camoflage (sp?) things…and besides, who’s going to be looking at the “index” toe of my right foot that closely?

I’m pretty sure that anytime I have done skin painting camouflage nobody has been the wiser. It was kind of awkward the first time though.

2. Jena said:

My toe nails are either super tough, or I’m not doing something right. I’ve never had a toe nail fall off… But I also haven’t run a marathon. Maybe I’m just not running far enough. Fine with me. What is gross about my feet, the bottoms. What the heck. They are so rough and peeling. I don’t walk around barefoot hardly at all so I don’t know what the issue is, but it’s weird.

We were on the boat yesterday and my little sister goes, “What the heck is wrong w/ the bottoms of your feet.” lol uhm. I need a pedicure.STAT!

Yeah, mine could use some love. I didn’t realize it until I had to show the bottom of my foot to some unsuspecting sole last week and felt the need to explain why I looked like a cave man.

• Lori said:

Jena, maybe my feet are just speshul but I haven’t run a marathon either but still lose my right “index” toenail at least 2x/year. Good fun.

3. KristieB said:

Too funny!

I regularly lose the toenails on both of my second toes and I have only one big toenail from a procedure when I was a kd so I’m used to just “painting the nub” as I call it. The pedicurists never even give it a second thought.

Although I did lose a toenail DURING my last pedicure. That seemed to shock the poor girl a bit.

That is too funny! She was probably thinking “I wasn’t buffing that aggressively, was I?”