In lieu of a Mother’s Day celebration on Sunday, Chris and I decided to grill. It isn’t that we didn’t want to celebrate Mother’s Day, it is just that our mothers live way too far away for a proper celebration.
The weather in Indiana was beautiful this weekend except for a few short rain showers on Saturday and we got so much accomplished. We were able to get
all most of our grass mowed, our flower beds weeded, changed the oil in our cars and the tractor, went grocery shopping, went out for sushi, took the dogs out for a walk, went to the gym, and spent a decent amount of time preparing for a big change, still under wraps for a little while, at Duke’s House.
(No, there are no tiny humans involved with this change. Why do I feel like I have to clarify that all the time? Ahem, people who jump to conclusions…)
Finally, we had some down time on Sunday night and got to grill and hang out on our back porch. Too bad everyone else we knew was busy with Mother’s Day because the kale was good enough to serve to company.
This was both of our first times grilling kale and it was a big time win! I almost always like to have some type of salad-y element to my dinner, but I do not always feel like dealing with making a salad. Grilled kale was a much easier alternative.
- one bunch kale
- aluminum foil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- fresh lemon, the juice of one to two wedges
- Place two sheets of aluminum foil, about 18″ each, perpendicular to each other on your work surface to form a cross.
- Chop kale into bite size pieces, removing stems, and place the kale in the center of the foil.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and olive oil and lightly toss.
- Roll the top sheet of foil tightly around the kale. Fold the bottom sheet around the top roll, burrito style to form an airtight pouch.
- Heat a grill to a medium heat, then place the pouch on the grill for about 12 minutes with the lid closed.
- Remove from grill, carefully unwrap package and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Plate and serve.
Servings ~ 4
Calories ~ 103, Fat ~ 4.4 g, Carbohydrates ~ 14.9 g, Protein ~ 5.0 g