Run: March 27 – April 2

I’ll cut to the chase: I have been absent from blogging because I’m bummed that I am still riding the bike. My attitude about it is improving, but please bear with me while I get a grip on my non-running.

In happier news, I was lucky enough to go to Las Vegas last weekend to meet up with Chris (who had been there for work already) and his family. I wasn’t sure if Las Vegas would be my thing, but after discovering Red Rock Canyon I’m totally sold.

We will definitely bring our climbing gear next time. I should have taken a clue from Shelby’s post and gotten with the program, but laziness and my disdain for checked luggage got the best of me.

Next time. There will be a next time.

Although we did not get to go climbing in Red Rock Canyon, we did get to go for an awesome hike up Turtleback Mountain. Hiking may or may not have extended my recovery time, but I’m ok with it. Sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind and go with the right thing to do at the moment.

Yes, I went hiking in a running skirt. I didn’t pack for the trip thinking that there was hiking involved. I would also like to note that I (irrationally) felt extra cool as I booked up the hill past throngs of people decked out in hiking boots and carrying trekking poles.

While in Las Vegas, I also decided to do a short run to test out my ankle a bit. I planned on three miles because three seemed like long enough for it to give me feedback, but short enough to avoid doing much additional damage.

The run didn’t go so well both in that I got lost and ended up running farther than three miles and in that my ankle hurt like crazy by the time I finished. I definitely shouldn’t have been running.

Back home and back to the bike now:

• Sunday: 6.2 @ 9:19 + 4.45 hike on Turtleback Mountain
  • Monday: rest
  • Tuesday: 17 miles on bike trainer (average HR ~ 160)
  • Wednesday: 17.37 miles on bike trainer (easy – average HR ~ 142)
  • Thursday: 17.16 miles on bike trainer (average HR ~ 151)
  • Friday: 15 miles on bike trainer (easy – average HR ~ 134)
  • Saturday: 20 miles on bike trainer (average HR ~ 158)

Running Weekly Total: 6.2
Running March Total: 92.84
Running 2011 Total: 297.96
Miles on Shoes: 248.96
Miles on New Shoes: 18

Cycling Weekly Total: 86.54
Cycling March Total: 129.43
Cycling 2011 Total: 284.3

“I have been absent from blogging because I’m bummed that I am still riding the bike.”
    I don’t blame you one bit for the above quote. Sorry you’re still on the injured list.

But… love those pics and glad you got to be out in that beautiful canyon/mountain area this weekend. I wish you renewed enjoyment on the bike. Maybe some new music, podcasts, etc would help?

Having a good book on tape has totally changed my workout experience. Chris and I are both listening to “Into Thin Air” by Jon Krakauer right now. Yeah, better late than never on that one. It has only been out for like 14 years. Great book, especially for aspiring Everest climbers.

• Lisa said:

Good for you! I am a devoted listener to books while I drive, but my library doesn’t have many good ones available yet on their free download list. (and I like free 🙂 ) I think in a few years as they build that collection I will be able to get some awesome ones to listen to for running/workouts too.

• Lisa said:

That prob. didn’t make much sense; I should add I get books on CD for while I drive because that selection is good.

I wonder if you could rip the CDs, convert them to MP3s and then listen while you run?

2. lifeisbeachykeen said:

Wow! Those pictures are gorgeous! What beautiful scenery!

Sorry you are struggling with your ankle 😦 I’m with Lisa, maybe d/l some new stuff to listen to while you cycle.

I’ll be ok. I just need a better attitude. 🙂

3. Ritter said:

Keep your head up girl, you’ll be back in no time at all!!! 🙂

Its awesome that you got to go to Vegas tho… that’s never a bad time!

Thanks, fingers crossed!

4. shelby said:

Aw, I loooooove Red Rocks! Lots of long mellow multipitch. I haven’t been out there since we got engaged! Must fix that soon. (If I still remember how to climb, that is. Ha!)

Sorry the injured list is hanging on to you for so long. 😦

The climbing looked like a blast there. I can’t believe I didn’t get my act together and pack the climbing gear. We even have a Red Rock Canyon climbing book.

5. Ugh, right there with ya still. I have been so ambivalent about blogging/reading other blogs while I’ve been injured — you’re not alone. Guess the only thing we can do is keep on keepin’ on with the injury TLC and the cross training. Looks like a fabulous hike and well worth any possible injury time it may have cost you. I agree that sometimes you’ve just got to listen to what’s right for the moment!

In the scheme of things, the hike was more important than a few more days off of running. We have another snowboarding trip queued up and I’m guessing that one will add to my recovery time also. Whatever. At this point it isn’t like I’m going to get to run my race anyway.