Run: February 27 – March 5

Greetings from South Lake Tahoe!

I seem to have a little jet lag, but it is actually working out to be a good thing because I can get a lot accomplished before Heavenly even opens. Yesterday morning we had time to do a little grocery shopping and make breakfast in our room before heading out to the Gondola.

[Disclaimer: It looks like there is enough beer in our refrigerator for a small army. We do not plan to drink all of it ourselves. We met some of Chris’ cousins here and it would be rude not to get enough to share.]

Our trip to the grocery store got me thinking, is vacation grocery shopping normal? When I was growing up, it was a given, but as I get older I become more and more aware of the “special” things that my family did.

We had a family truckster in which we would road trip across America each summer. My brothers and I always hoped that we would get to go out to eat now and then, but “car breakfast” and “car lunch” were a favorite of my parents and all too often they would drag the cooler out of our station wagon and set up a cereal or sandwich assembly line on the tailgate.

In retrospect, I think my dad liked the money-saving aspect of it, while my mom probably appreciated eating a meal that was much healthier than your typical fast food fare. Today, I can’t believe I’m admitting this, I am the one pushing for vacation grocery shopping, a self-made in-room breakfast, and a backpack full of snacks and sandwiches on the mountain.

Do you prefer to eat in or out while you’re on the road?

• Sunday: Rest
  • Monday: 6 miles @ 9:02
  • Tuesday: New Rules Workout 3A4 + 6 miles @ 8:32 – I can’t believe that I’m saying this, but I was a little bit bummed that I won’t be doing the body weight matrix anymore. I wonder if it would be ok to keep doing it anyway?
  • Wednesday: New Rules Workout 3B4 + 6 miles @ 9:37 – I did not want to run at all. It was a struggle to get going and I had to talk myself into “just one more mile” the entire way.
  • Thursday: 6 miles @ 8:18 – Partly out of necessity due to a jam-packed schedule. I still feel like a rock star.
  • Friday: Snowboarding!
  • Saturday: Snowboarding!

Weekly Total: 24
February Total: 113.12
March Total: 18
2011 Total: 225.12
Miles on Shoes: 194.12

1. Kier said:

We go grocery shopping on vacation all the time! I’d really much prefer that to going out to eat all the time – saves money and I can eat what I want.

Back in the day, my family would always pull our jammed packed toyota corolla into a rest stop and make lunch from the cooler!

Nice 6 miles @ 8:18 :-D!

We tend to do some of both eating in and out while traveling. My family rarely took big trips growing up because of the farm, but we did one multi-day car trip I can remember and we definitely had a big food cooler. The H and I don’t travel a ton, but I always at least pack traveling snacks.

3. Lori said:

We also tend to do a little of both. When we went to Yellowstone for our honeymoon, our cabin in Island Park had a minifridge, toaster, microwave, coffeepot, and gas grill…and a small, overpriced grocery store about 15 minutes away 🙂 So we got stuff for breakfast (think toast and cereal bars), creamer (since coffee was provided by the resort), pop, a case of bottled water to take to the park with us, and stuff to cook out a couple of nights. It definitely saved us some money, and we probably would have gotten more if we’d had more frige room!

4. I come from a vacation grocery-shopping family as well. Typically our vacations tend to be with extended family (cousins, aunts, uncles), so the grocery shopping and the meals all seem more exciting because there are other people with us — our food repertoire automatically increases due to everyone’s different skills and preferences in the kitchen. Have fun on the rest of your trip!!

5. KrisB said:

I’m pro-vacation grocery shopping! Our last family vacation was complete with a meal plan. Both the money saving and the healthy aspects appeal to me.

I do like to take the opportunity to visit local favorites when I’m on vacation so we eat out a bit as well. Just not usually fast food or chains.

6. Brit said:

I’m glad that I’m in good company with the vacation grocery shopping! 🙂

7. Nice paces, wow!

And no judgement here…we have a regular-sized fridge devoted to beer in our basement and a separate wine fridge. Oy!

8. lifeisbeachykeen said:

Wowser! You had some great runs this week! Nice job! I hope you are enjoying your trip in Tahoe.

We also used to grocery shop on trips. With 6 girls eating out for every meal would have been ridiculous. Chris & I have not been on many trips together but the few we have we’ve gone grocery shopping and eaten in as much as possible. We usually go on a tight budget so eating out every meal is definitely not an option.