Run: February 13 – 19

Since he got back from Africa, Chris has been looking for more balance in his life.

He got an Adidas MiCoach for Christmas and has used it to create his own marathon training program. Better yet he has even been following doing bits and pieces of his marathon training plan. This is huge news!

As some of you may recall, last year Chris ran 104.8 miles during the first half of the year, 52.4 of which were in marathons. With all of this training that he is doing this year, I’m excited to see how he does at our race on April 30! I smell a PR for someone!

About that April 30 date. We aren’t sure which race we are running yet, but have decided that it will most likely be the Country Music Marathon in Nashville. The other race we are considering is the Illinois Marathon. Both are on April 30.

Sounds like we have a big decision to make. We will probably register for one or the other in the next few weeks.

Here’s a look at my workouts for the week:

• Sunday: 6 miles @ 9:04 – Recovery from Saturday’s long run.
  • Monday: New Rules Workout 3A2 – This kicked my butt again. It has this body weight matrix at the end where you do all kinds of jumping squats and jumping lunges. I improved from last week, but still couldn’t finish it.
  • Tuesday: 6 miles (1 mile w/u @ 9:22, 4 x 1 mile @ 7:30 w/2:00 standing rest, 1 mile c/d @ 9:00) – Surprisingly, I really enjoyed this workout. Good thing because next time it will be 5 x 1 mile. Ugh, that sounds like a lot.
  • Wednesday: 20 miles trainer, first 10 “hilly”, second 10 easy
  • Thursday: New Rules Workout 3B2 + 5 miles easy @ 9:11
  • Friday: Rest
  • Saturday: 14.23 @ 9:32, hills – Well, for Indiana anyway. Total elevation gain 1293 ft. This leads me to wonder, what constitutes a hilly run?

I tend to call the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati a hilly marathon. It has a total elevation gain of ~1500 ft, but, having run in the Midwest for the past few years, I am not sure that I know what counts as hilly. Today’s run had far more aggressive hill than that.

Weekly Total: 31.23
February Total: 74.87
2011 Total: 168.87
Miles on Shoes: 137.87

1. Ritter said:

Awesome job with your training!! I think you should do Illinois Marathon 🙂

We’ll see! I think it will be cheaper to do the Illinois Marathon and I think we also have a better chance of getting cool weather. I’m a huge baby about running in warm weather. By warm, I mean more thank like 65 degrees. On the other hand, Nashville sounds like a lot of fun…

2. Ritter said:

Yeah I bet Nashville would be fun! Illinois is a pretty big race and there are lots of people watching. The final run into the football stadium and seeing yourself on the Jumbotron is a cool added bonus 🙂

I was telling Chris about the football stadium and the Jumbotron last night. He is still leaning towards Nashville. Whatever happens with this race, I plan to run Illinois at some point because I like that it is super flat!

Great week Brit! Good luck with your marathon decision as well. I think Nashville sounds pretty sweet, especially since I’m a country music lover – well really an all music lover.

4. Kira said:

YEEESSSS! Come to Nashville!

🙂 Still heavily leaning towards Nashville. I hope to buy an entry for one race or the other this weekend!

5. Jumping lunges and jumping squats whaaaaaaaat. These New Rules workouts sound like utter asskickers. As to what constitutes a hilly run? My view of “hilly runs” is pretty subjective… I think it gets to be up to you.

They are asskickers. After doing a squat-laden workout you do a ton of lunges and squats at the end – a total of 48 regular body weight squats and 24 per side body weight lunges plus 48 jumping squats and 24/side jumping lunges. Feel. The. Burn.

Re: Hills – That was my hilly run. We don’t have mega hills here and I can easily do 14 miles with 50 – 100 feet of total elevation gain, so I call nearly 1300 over that distance hilly. I’m a big wuss.