Sushi Tuna Rolls

Sushi is one of our favorite foods. Seared Ahi is also. It is pretty much guaranteed that if there is uncooked or barely cooked tuna on a restaurant menu that Chris and I will both order it.

Chris and I used to go out for sushi quite often, well, until we developed Duke’s House budget that is. Our “responsible grown up” budget dictated that we needed to eat out less often if we wanted to do other fun things like go to Africa.

They say that necessity is the mother of invention, and while we didn’t invent homemade sushi, we started making it out of necessity.

We like to fill our sushi with tuna, scallions, carrot, and sometimes cucumber, but I think the key here is the rolling technique more than the ingredients because sushi can be made to suit any palate. We have even provided the ingredients for “chicken teriyaki” sushi at our sushi parties for non-seafood eating friends.

I started making these sushi rolls by placing a sheet of nori on a sushi rolling mat, then spreading a very thin layer of rice on it. Think one grain thick, max. Make sure to leave an inch or two rice-free at the end to seal the roll with.

After spreading the rice, I added my sushi fillings. Remember, less is more here!

Now for the tricky part. Rolling sushi is kind of like rolling up a sleeping bag.

Roll tightly, slip your fingers (and the mat) out, then roll some more until the nori is completely rolled up. To slice sushi, it works best to use a sawing motion rather than trying to press the knife through.

Don’t be afraid to eat the ends of the roll right away! My end pieces always look a bit sloppy, so I prefer to just eat them as I go, especially if I am cooking for guests.

The ingredients vary, for two of us I mixed and matched the following ingredients:

• ~ 4 ounces of sushi grade fish
  • 2 cups rice (uncooked) – I used 1 cup brown rice and 1 cup white rice cooked according to my rice cooker’s instructions.
  • 1 package of sushi rice mix – We have this in the Asian section of our local grocery store.
  • 1 carrot, thinly sliced in strips
  • 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced  in strips
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced in strips

1. brannyboilsover said:

I love making sushi at home. I don’t do it often, though, because my husband doesn’t partake and it is a bit labor intensive. Your rolls look restaurant quality!

Thanks! I think it is pretty fun to make too! I’m glad Chris is happy to help make and eat the sushi because, I agree, it is a lot of slicing, chopping, and leftover rice if you are cooking for one.

It is easy! The best part is that you can invite a whole crowd of people over to dinner and trick them into making their own food!

2. You’ve got the technique nailed! No need to go out, when you can do it so well on your own.

I’m so glad we figured it out! More importantly, I’m glad we figured out where to buy sushi grade fish in BFE, Indiana!

3. shelby said:

Nice rolling technique! Those are beautiful!

Thanks! It is one of those crafts that I am happy to experiment with over and over. 🙂

4. Those sushi rolls look restuarant worthy! And quite yummy. I am really craving sushi right now…maybe I should figure out how to make my own at home…

Do it! It is really fun and waaaay cheaper!

5. Ritter said:

OMG this is awesome!!! I just had a spicy tuna roll and a California roll for lunch today 🙂 I have never even thought to try and make them myself! I love all of the pics as well! Looks like you’ve had lots of practice – they are beautiful!

I practice as often as possible! 🙂

6. KrisB said:

That looks delicious! Now I need to locate that sushi rolling mat I ordered on Ebay three years ago and have never ever used.

I’m still learning to really like sushi, but this looks pretty awesome. Thus far it seems like some types of sushi just have too much of a slimy texture for me. But I still keep trying it. This looks like a fun project. Now if I could just find the proper ingredients to make it…

I’m really lucky we have a Japanese grocery store! I would probably have to drive to Indy for fish if we didn’t. Some good readily available fish options are smoked salmon or crab. I really like smoked salmon, cream cheese, and scallions in a roll. 🙂