Run: January 30 – February 5

I may have mentioned that I’m pseudo-training for another marathon.

Pseudo-training?

Between the crazy winter weather, a packed schedule, and competing fitness goals  (I am trying to get strong enough to carry a 65 lb. backpack up a mountain) I do not feel ready to fully commit to a marathon yet. Worst case scenario, I get in some great training runs. Best case, I basically become Superwoman. I will continue to stick to my marathon training plan for now, but I will wait at least until I follow through with a 20-mile training run to sign up for a race.

The pictures above do not do justice to the amount of ice that we received this week. I’m talking inches of ice on parts of our driveway, tree limbs breaking left and right under the weight of the ice, dogs unable to stay up on all four even in the grass. Ice like I have never seen before.

This week was a recovery week on my plan, which I struggled with for a variety of reasons.

Early in the week I struggled to keep a mellow pace like the plan instructed me to. Obviously it is easier physically to run slowly, but it was a mental battle. In addition to not wanting to blog relatively slower paces, on some level I get scared that if I run “slow” for a week that I will lose the ability to run “fast”.

Later in the week I struggled with the idea of running on the treadmill and with a mega case of heavy legs. Last winter I was a super treadmill runner completing 10 miles of treadmill every Tuesday morning and even managing a 20+ mile treadmill run. This winter I am having trouble summoning the willpower to even get on it.

In addition to my treadmill woes, my legs were just plain tired. Maybe due to lifting? New Rules does say not to try to do their workouts and endurance sports at the same time. I don’t really think of what I am doing as “endurance sports” though. I’m just running a little bit. Maybe my legs just needed a recovery week really badly.

At this point, my confidence is somewhat shaken and I am in the “I am never going to run a race again, it sucks the fun out of running” mode. It will probably pass. It always does.

Sunday: 6 miles @ 9:11 – Outside! In rainy Southern California. I was supposed to do my 10 miles, but I did them a day early so they ended up on last week’s post/mileage total leaving me with some wacky totals for both weeks.
Monday: rest
Tuesday: 6 miles @ 9:14 – Dreadmill. Southern Indiana got a heavy coating of ice on Tuesday and Wednesday, think ice skating on your street icy.
Wednesday: New Rules Workout 2A4
Thursday: 2 miles @ 9:14 – Treadmill fail! I did not have the mental fortitude to stay on the treadmill. My legs were super tired, but that’s no excuse, I should have stuck it out.
Friday: 5 miles @ 9:37 – Outside. Still had tired legs. I’m not sure what my deal was. Chris had to practically drag me along behind him. New Rules Workout 2B4 – So glad to move on to Workout 3. I kind of wish that the workouts only had to be done two or three times each. I would be less tempted to skip them if I could change them up more often.
Saturday: rest

Weekly Total: 19
January Total: 94
February Total: 13
2011 Total: 107
Miles on Shoes: 76

1. Lori said:

“I don’t really think of what I am doing as “endurance sports” though. I’m just running a little bit.”

You sound like me 😛 We got a bunch of ice this week too…other than a highly interesting run in hail-type snow/ice balls with my training group yesterday, I’ve been stuck running inside. I don’t know how many more laps around the track at the gym I can take. Come onnnnn, spring!

I’m planning to run outside today. It should be up to 39* by later this afternoon so hopefully my favorite trail will melt enough that it is safe to run on! I kind of wish I had an indoor track to run on right now just for something new. I just can’t wrap my head around setting foot on that treatmill right now.

We don’t do “endurance sports” do we? I mean that is for like serious runners, right?

2. Kier said:

I hear you on the whole trying to slow down for some of your longer runs. It really is kind of hard to do. I think once I pass a certain distance, I have one pace and once pace only. (But then that all goes to crap the day I run a marathon!) 🙂

I am also combining NROLFA with running – yesterday’s run was pretty tough as my legs were like dead weights. But I am going to keep up with both for as long as I can.

I’m glad I’m not the only one out there doing it. I think I need to rearrange my training schedule a bit to accomodate the lifting. If I could get my act together to do this: long run Saturday, recovery run Sunday AM, New Rules Sunday PM, rest Monday, tempo Tuesday, New Rules Wednesday, rest Thursday, run Friday…I think that would work.

Unfortunately, life and the weather won’t cooperate. I swear that they are conspiring against me. They don’t want me to lift weights. (Hah, ok, I just don’t want to, but I know that I need to.)

3. I am also doing NROLFW and I’m not giving up my running, although the book makes it sound like you should. Besides, treadmill running just plain sucks whether it is 2 miles or 20 miles…although 20 miles is pretty amazing on a treadmill!

And yes, running slow is a lot harder mentally then physically…it is hard to finish up a run and have a slower pace staring back at you.

Yes, logging the slower paces brings me down. Thankfully(?), my recovery week is over. Now the pressure is on to run fast(er)! I hope I can eke out a few decent runs this week!

Sorry you’ve had so much ice – yuck!

And… I know all about pseudo training. I’m doing it myself 🙂 I think I’m a little closer to a decision that will make me sign up, but I’m still not quite ready to commit. It doesn’t help that I did no long run (or any run) this weekend because I’ve been babying my leg and trying to avoid tendonitis. When will the near-injuries end?

Sounds like you had a good running week. It’s strange, but I now totally understand and agree that running slower can be more difficult (at least mentally). Hope this week is a speedy one for you!

I totally think that you should sign up. I’m just scared to commit.

I started off this week with a great run yesterday, so things are looking up already!