Out of Africa: 3 Safari in Lake Manyara

Out of Africa: 3 – Safari in Lake Manyara
Out of Africa: 4 – Safari in the Serengeti
Out of Africa: 5 – Safari in Ngorongoro Crater
Out of Africa: 6 – Climbing Kilimanjaro
Out of Africa: 7 – Kilimanjaro Summit
Out of Africa: 8 – Zanzibar

Before our big mountain climbing adventure, we headed out on safari in Tanzania, first in Lake Manyara, then to the Serengeti for two days, then on to Ngorongoro Crater.

(Source)

Almost immediately upon entering Lake Manyara National Park, we began seeing animals. Not sure how many animals we would get to see, we stopped right away to take tons of pictures of this guy.

Before we had gotten our fill of him, our driver shouted “Look up ahead!”

An elephant!

At this point we were still of the mindset that going on safari to see animals would be like going to Yellowstone and hoping to see a bear. Maybe you will, maybe you won’t.

But it soon became clear that there would be no shortage of animals on this safari! In addition to the monkeys and elephants, we saw all kinds of exotic birds, hippos, giraffes, zebras, and more. My favorite picture of all from our first day was this little guy here.

Serengeti pictures coming soon!

1. That photo of the monkey is adorable. I learned while we were in Spain that monkeys/apes are much cuter from a bit of a distance…having them charge you because they think you have food = not so cute!

We had quite a monkey story! While we were getting out of our Land Cruiser one day, a monkey jumped in while my friend was still in there. It totally freaked her out. My dad eventually scared the monkey out of the car at which point the monkey lunged for Chris. I really thought that Chris was going to get attacked by the monkey, but thankfully he got out of the way just in time. It was quite an experience!

• That is wild!! (ba dm chhhh!) Monkeys kind of terrify me. Good thing he kept his cool!

Wow, more awesome photos! I’m assuming that’s you in the pink looking out at the elephant?

3. Ritter said:

These photos are AMAZING!!!! Keep ’em coming 🙂

4. lifeisbeachykeen said:

Oh, you are seriously teasing me with just these few pictures! I love all the animal pictures, how awesome! That little monkey is so cute, and that elephant is amazing! What a great experience!

I may have been peeking at the little monkey pictures like 5x per day since I discovered that we had it. He is SO cute. I also do it with the lion face picture that I posted a few weeks ago. I’m just so amazed by it.

I haven’t been a chronic picture peeker quite like this since we first got Duke and I would peek at his puppy pictures every few hours while I toiled away on the computer. I am still majorly excited about the safari pictures!

5. KristieB said:

The little monkey is absolutely adorable!