Out of Africa: 2

Out of Africa: 3 – Safari in Lake Manyara
Out of Africa: 4 – Safari in the Serengeti
Out of Africa: 5 – Safari in Ngorongoro Crater
Out of Africa: 6 – Climbing Kilimanjaro
Out of Africa: 7 – Kilimanjaro Summit
Out of Africa: 8 – Zanzibar

Over the past few weeks, Chris and I have probably dedicated 30-40 hours to pouring over our Africa pictures and sorting out the good from the ugly. (Yes, we did manage to keep a few pictures of me.)

This picture sorting process is far from complete as the good pictures number well over 500 so far and our goal is to weed out the top 100. At least we’re making progress. I never expected that it would be such a daunting task.

Our trip to Africa was divided into three distinct parts, a safari, the Kilimanjaro climb, and a trip to the island (archipelago really) of Zanzibar. I would say that we are closest to having the safari pictures organized compared to the other two parts of the trip, but it is hard to say because this picture sorting business is not being done in any particular order although we are taking a very scientific approach for the picture review process it is difficult to gage how long it will take in total.

The pictures are sorted by timestamp, so we set a goal for ourselves to look through one or two days worth of pictures each night. It is kind of similar to picking out which food picture to post with a recipe except that we have over 6000 vacation pictures whereas I can usually limit myself to taking less than 20 pictures of a particular dish. (Maybe that’s why my food pictures are not nearly as good as these animal pictures?)

More pictures coming soon!

1. You’re right when you say sorting through vacation photos is a daunting task. It is so daunting that my H and I haven’t even begun to sort through the 2800 photos we took while in Europe. There’s another 2000 from our family members to sort through as well. The thought of starting scares me a little…!

Those are some great photos though, picking your top 100 is probably going to be very difficult!

Yes, you’re in the same situation right now. We are under the gun to get the pictures sorted by tomorrow so we can show them to Chris’s family over the weekend. I don’t think we’ll narrow it down to the top 100 by then, but we should at least be down to ~600.

These are some amazing photos!! I also like that you added your watermark. I keep thinking I should do that for the photos I post on my blog, but I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

I’m sure it is a bit overwhelming. I know that for every major trip or life-event, I always spend hours picking and categorizing the best photos. I still need to finish our honeymoon album (and it will be 2 years in February) so I’m not exactly timely in that process.

Try to enjoy the picture sorting process and remember your trip even if it feels a like a huge chore sometimes. We always love seeing more photos!

Thanks! I thought that I should go through the trouble to watermark these, especially the first two since I think they’re pretty decent photos. The third one is kind of meh, but I have a weakness for lion cubs.

I haven’t made a wedding or honeymoon album yet. That’s bad. We are going to do one of those printed and bound coffee table photo albums for this trip. Well, that’s the plan anyway.

I am enjoying many aspects of the sorting process. I like when we happen upon one of the awesome pictures, but it is kind of exhausting going through the 9 out of 10 bad ones.

3. lifeisbeachykeen said:

Awww those little babies are so cute, even though they could eat my head off in one bite 🙂

I’m not that organized when it comes to pictures. I don’t have a camera good enough to take “good” pictures. They are all just mediocre so there is never really much to choose from. A good, well better, camera is on my list of things to buy this year. My anniversary is coming up, I vote I get a new camera for that! ha!

Can’t wait to see more pictures!

I hope you get your “good” camera. I’m lucky that Chris wanted one really badly also. That made the purchase decision easy. We used a Canon Rebel T1i camera with a “normal” lens (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS) and a zoom lens (Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM). The “IS” means image stabilization and that part was key for us since most of our pictures were taken from a rumbling Land Cruiser.

More pictures coming soon!

4. Ritter said:

Your pictures are awesome!!!! I bet that trip was amazing – I’d love to do something like that in the future. Keep the great pics coming 🙂

Thanks! I never thought we would see as many animals as we did and I am even more surprised that some of the pictures turned out well.

The trip was super cool! Probably the best trip I have ever been on. I highly recommend safari in the Serengeti and the Kilimanjaro climb. Zanzibar was nice, but I wouldn’t travel that far to go there alone.

5. Lori said:

LOVE the pics, Brit…can’t wait to see more!

6. Wow, I love these photos! Sorting through all of them sounds like a big task, but well worth the effort. I’m not much of a photography buff and didn’t realize you’d get the opportunity to get such great shots. The lion portrait is beautiful!

Thanks! I’m totally stoked about the lion. When I saw that picture I was so excited that I didn’t care if a single other picture worked out.

When we decided to go on safari, I thought it would be like a trip to Yellowstone where you hope that you see one bear. It turns out that the animal density and the comingling of species in ‘The Lion King’ are completely accurate. Who knew?!