Run: January 16 – 22

Sunday: 8 miles (hills) @ 10:01

I could tell that Chris wanted to get this run checked off early because as I was lounging by the TV on Sunday morning, a pulled chicken BBQ sandwich appeared on the coffee table in front of me.

Only after I finished my breakfast did we realize that it was still extremely cold outside but was predicted to warm up by like 20 degrees later in the day.

Poor timing. Since we had already exhausted all reasonable vehicles for procrastination, we got bundled up in crazy outfits à la Lisa and headed out for a frigid winter run. She probably thinks I’m a pansy for calling 12 degrees frigid.

Anyway, we ran, it started out extremely slow, but finally improved to a respectable pace by mile 5. I’ll appreciate those hills if I decide to run the Flying Pig again.

Monday: 6 miles @ 8:29 (with 4 tempo miles @ 8:13)

This was supposed to be Thursday’s run, but I was already dreading it enough to lose sleep over it, so I decided to get it scratched off my calendar right off the bat.

It wasn’t actually that bad after I got started, I think I’m just a baby about tempo runs. I freak out when I begin to feel that panicky, out of breath-ish, I might not be able to continue at this pace for a full 32 minutes and 52 seconds feeling.

After my warm-up mile, I almost threw in the towel. My feet hurt, both of them, the right one that has been feeling weird and the left one that may or may not have healed fully from its break.

Instead of quitting, I decided to try this genius maneuver of switching out my old-ish shoes for new ones. What a difference. My old shoes were completely shot. I had two backup sets of shoes sitting in my closet, I should have done this sooner.

Finally, laced up in my brand new blue kicks, I hit the treadmill again and managed to keep it steady on 7.3 for 32 minutes and 52 seconds, yes folks, that’s 4 whole miles. I even followed it up with a cool down mile.

Some of you are like, psssht, that’s my recovery run pace. I truly envy your fleet footedness.

Tuesday: New Rules Workout 2A2

You read that correctly, strength training for two weeks in a row! May be some kind of a record.

Wednesday: 7 miles @ 8:51

I think my speed may be improving a bit. I wouldn’t say that this was easy to do, but I didn’t feel nearly as awful as I would expect.

Thursday: New Rules Workout 2B2

Bulgarian split squats are my nemesis. I think this sums it up well:

“Looking for a masochistic new strength exercise to add to your resistance training program? Try the Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squat…”

Yeah, sounds about right.

Friday: 3 miles @ 8:28, 3 miles @ 7:53

I had this grand idea that I would run a few hard treadmill miles in the morning and then do a few easy miles outside with Chris at night. No dice. I headed back to the treadmill for those last few miles later in the day.

This second run got me thinking about my total running strategy. First, note that it was insanely fast for me. Second, note how I pulled it off: run at ~7:30 pace for as long as I can tolerate it, back it down to ~10:00 for up to one minute, repeat as needed. Running that fast wasn’t so bad with intervals like that. I might even try it again!

Saturday: Snowboarding! (Still counts as rest, right?)

Weekly Total: 27
January Total: 50
2011 Total: 50
Miles on Old Shoes: 311.68*
Miles on Current Shoes: 19

* This is not acceptable in my book. I wear Mizuno Wave Creation 11’s, which are crazy expensive when I’m not able to find them on sale. I may need to start looking for a new model of shoe after my stockpile of shoes runs out. I do my best not to “waste” the shoes by not putting enough miles on them, but these really needed to go.

Anyone have a neutral shoe that they are in love with? These have kind of a “hard” ride and are fairly responsive, which I like. Their life span, well, I don’t like that so much.

1. brannyboilsover said:

Don’t you ruin your foot by overdoing it!
    I run in Aasics 2150s (formerly 2140s). I’ve had 5 or 6 pairs of them.

I know, you’re right, it is always easier to remind someone else to tone it down than to do it yourself. I’m constantly commenting to others to do that. I should probably take my own advice.

2. lifeisbeachykeen said:

Looks like you had a great week of running. I have also been thinking about changing up my shoes. I wear Nike Zoom Triax (not neutral) and my last pair didn’t even make it to 300 miles. I’m not 100% convinced it was the shoes that were causing the hip pain, but the pain has stopped so I’m not sure what to do. Go back to my old shoes, or stay in my new shoes? Anyways, I wasn’t happy that I didn’t even get 300 miles out of them. I’ve only bought them on sale, so I’m not out a lot of money, but still, it’s annoying.

Sounds like you’re in the same boat. I think I have made the decision to stick it out with this model of shoe until I can’t find them on super sale anymore. My latest pair was 60% off, so I’m not even sure that I could get more miles/$ with another model of shoe.

Wow! I think you had a great week of running. And for the record, I also find 12 degrees to be cold. Last night at the farm it had warmed up to around 10 degrees, but the wind had really picked up. 10 degrees felt WAY worse than -15 (with no wind) did on Saturday morning.

Your running posts make me feel like there is just no way I’m running enough. I need to start trying to get longer runs in during the week, but that will involve getting up so early. (Wah!!!) I’m still babying my stupid upper leg/inner thigh too, and I don’t really know which muscle is sore or why.

I run in New Balance 758s, regular width (they also come in wide). They’re a neutral and not overly cushy. I also wear the blue super feet inserts. They’ve now updated these to the 759, but I’ve still been finding 758s on closeout (for super cheap :-)) I had been in the completely wrong shoes for awhile, and these just have worked well for me. I don’t know if they’re perfect, but I’m not having the problems I was before so I’m kind of afraid to change them. My first pair I got about 400 miles, and I’m close ot 300 on my current pair.

4. I’m a Nike Air Pegasus loyalist — neutral and fairly durable (in my super subjective and unsubstantiated opinion) but I’ve heard a lot of great things about the Wave Creation… and in their defense, 311 miles IS in the range of “time to throw ’em out!”

And 100% feel you on those squats. I know them as Spassov squats, but I think they’re the same thing as the Bulgarian split. Aren’t they the suckiest/greatest? My love-hate for them is quite significant…

I think I had a pair of Nike Air Pegasus shoes in high school. Maybe I should look into them again. And yes, 311 miles is within the 300-500 mile range. I just wish they were lasting for 500 miles. I think it is because I step really hard. My parents always told me that I sounded like an elephant coming down the staircase. Maybe they were onto something.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who lovehates the Bulgarian split squats. They are wonderfulevil.