Run: December 5 – 11

This week was a running fail for sure. Between tired legs and a packed schedule, it just wasn’t happening. I typically get pretty frustrated about that, but I did my best to take it in stride. (No pun intended.)

When I finally got my act together again on Saturday to run, it went pretty well and I felt like I might have gotten my mojo back. Whew!

On Saturday, the temperatures warmed up a bit and the rain that started during my run continued through the evening melting away what was left of our snow from last weekend. I was sad to see it go, but happy to have replacement snow on the ground by Sunday afternoon.

Always thirsty, Duke takes every opportunity to eat the snow. Hopefully he avoids the yellow kind. I certainly wouldn’t eat snow from our yard, with two dogs, two cats, and who knows how many other creatures out there, I just wouldn’t take that chance.

There is that saying about not eating where you sh!t…I guess Duke hasn’t heard that one.

Anyway…

Remember that test packing discussion that we had last week? Well I gave it another go over the weekend.

This is so odd to me, I don’t think I’ve ever packed anything more than a day before travelling until this trip.

I am fairly confident that my bag will weigh in just below Continental’s stingy 50 lb. limit. ~49.5 lbs.

I like to live on the edge. I’ll probably toss an extra pair of socks in the bag at the last minute and end up going over weight.

On to this week’s runs…or the lack thereof…

• Sunday: 70 minute trainer ride
  • Monday:  1.25 miles <– It just wasn’t happening today. I don’t know what my deal was.
  • Tuesday: rest <– After Monday’s running fail I decided that maybe I needed a rest day.
  • Wednesday: 2 miles <– Again, the run just wasn’t workingout
  • Thursday: rest <– My legs feel absolutely exhausted no matter what I do. One more day off.
  • Friday: rest <– Still super tired. I don’t know what my deal is.
  • Saturday: 7.1 miles, hills @ 9:36 <– This run was a bit slower than I hoped for, but overall not bad. It was kind of a downer when it started raining on me at mile 6. Mid-30’s and raining is a bit chilly. People were driving by me looking at me like I was some kind of nutcase. It probably didn’t help that I was wearing sunglasses. I didn’t really have anywhere to put the sunglasses after it started raining, so I just kept wearing them.

Total Weekly Miles: 10.35 miles <– Need to see a little improvement here.
Total December Miles: 27.35 <– Believe it or not, this will not be my lowest mileage month. I ran 4 miles in September.
Total Yearly Miles: 1062.82
Miles on Current Shoes: 257.68

1. You are doing great with your runs. Just listen to your body and take a break when you need it. 🙂

Thanks! I like to be encouraged to rest more! 🙂

2. It’s winter, your vitamin D is probably low, a few things might be outta whack…blah blah blah, basically breaks are warranted this time of year; just go with it. I’ll make the excuses for you! I’ve been caught running in sunglasses in the rain, too… nerdy running moments… yup, they happen.

I honestly did consider the Vitamin D thing and low iron as well. Maybe I’m just feeling lazy. Whatever it is, I have a feeling that it will correct itself on its own with time.

I think you did just great. You allowed yourself to back off a little, and you’ll hopefully be refreshed and well-prepared for your trip. I always love to see Duke on your blog; what a handsome guy!

I think I’ve said this in everyone comment since December started, but have fun on your trip. Travel safe and enjoy!!

Thanks! Duke’s my running buddy, but not in the traditional meaning of that term. He sleeps next to the treadmill when I run. He has been having some crazy dreams lately, running in his sleep and making a whole bunch of muffled barking noises. I wonder what he’s dreaming about?

4. Lala said:

Lulu eats the snow constantly (when it’s available) and it makes me worry that she must be terribly dehydrated when we’re without snow or rain and we take our walkruns or I take her to play ball. If she eats that much snow when it’s available, what’s her system craving when it isn’t? Of course, she could just have a white powder addiction. 😉

Haha. Yes. Duke had a white powder problem for a while. We began to wonder if his body was craving some nutrient found in dry wall. We could tell when he had been up to no good because his face would be covered in white powder. He was like Tony Montana or something.

5. amelia said:

The weather makes me feel so tired too! I can make up excuses all day about why I need another rest day. Take em, enjoy em and afer a couple your legs will be itching to run!

I like another vote for rest days! I’ll roll with them until 2011, then I really need to find a race or something to force me to get my act together!