Saturday night I did something totally out of the ordinary for me. I made muffins.
Wild Saturday night, I know.
Other than the occasional loaf of bread, I don’t make very many baked goods because I lack the self-control necessary to have them in my house. Chris can walk past a dozen muffins all day long and not even give them a second thought.
I, on the other hand, will sneak a sliver of muffin each time I pass through the kitchen, during most commercial breaks if I am watching TV, and at pretty much any other opportunity. I’m sure that I am not the only one out there who knows this drill.
Fortunately, I am proud to say, I ate these muffins responsibly. Well, five and a half of them anyway. (Yes, Chris tried 1/2 of a fresh out of the oven muffin, then hands off for the next few days!) The other six are in my freezer for a rainy day.
I made up a lot of this recipe, just trying to keep typical wet and dry ratios in mind, so I wasn’t sure how these muffins would turn out. I was afraid that they might end up too chewy or soggy, or who knows? But they were just right. I think they would be pretty tasty with a cream cheese frosting. Maybe next time.
- olive oil spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 6 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp pumpkin butter
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flours, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg, milk, agave nectar, and pumpkin butter.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Gently mix in cranberries and walnuts.
- Coat twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with olive oil spray.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, then bake for 15-18 minutes or until the muffins are lightly browned and they pass the toothpick test.
- Cool muffins in the pan for several minutes before removing.
Servings ~ 12
Calories ~ 140, Fat ~ 2.5 g, Carbohydrates ~ 27, Protein ~ 4 g