Run: November 7 – 13

A little late on this one…

Over the weekend, I did my first 5K since the “foot incident”. I was pretty excited to get to race again, but this really wasn’t my ideal race. The course was pretty boring, going down a country road and back, the temperature was insanely warm for mid-November, and there was a crazy headwind the whole way back to the finish. Not a PR by any means, but I’ll take it. It was fun to get out there and even more fun to start picking people off on the way back in.

I would post a picture of me with my sweet 1st in AG award, but Chris wanted to go fishing instead of going to the race, so I didn’t have a photographer. Geez. ::eye roll::

In all seriousness, this had to be about the most boring race ever to watch. There was nothing on the course. We passed a big barn, I remember that. Most of it was a painful 5K blur though.

I seem to be drawn to run 5Ks thinking: “It will just be a quick three miles, no biggie.”

That is never true. Each time I run a 5K, I find myself a mile deep in the race bargaining with myself for mercy.

If you still feel this crummy after Mile 2, then you can walk.

Oh, come on, you made it to Mile 2, just finish the race out.

I’m never racing again. Racing sucks the fun out of running.

Just keep going. If you stop here you will totally regret it when you catch your breath in like three minutes.

Ok, how about just walking up that monster hill at the end.

Seriously, you big baby, just get over it and run up the hill.

Never racing again.

Did you say that I was the 4th woman? I won my age group?

I love racing! When is the next local race?

Next up may be a local 8K next month. I haven’t ever participated in an 8K before, so at the very least it will be easy on my ego. Maybe December will even offer some decently cool temperatures!

• Sunday: 7 hilly miles @ 9:00 (9:07, 8:42, 9:26, 8:54, 8:59, 8:57, 8:56)

When I was looking at the average pace for this run, I commented to Chris how it seemed kind of ‘meh’ to me because it was a 9-minute average, but if it had been an 8:59 average, I would have thought I had done pretty well. In reality we probably could have run it seven seconds quicker if we had known, so it doesn’t really mean anything, but sometimes those few seconds mean a lot, huh?

• Monday: 4 miles @ 9:15
  • Tuesday: rest <– Long travel day
  • Wednesday: 42 minute trainer ride, moderate effort
  • Thursday: rest

Have not been this sick since a particularly traumatic day in Cusco about a year ago. PSA: Remember kids, if you are not supposed to drink the water, do not drink frozen Pisco Sours either. That one was a no brainer before the Sangria, afterwards, not so much.

• Friday: 2.12 miles

At the last minute, I decided that I was going to run a 5K on Saturday. I would typically rest the day before a race, but I hadn’t run since Monday, I thought I should get in a few easy miles.

• Saturday: 4.08 miles

This was a short warm-up + my 5K. The on-site registration line was super long. That kind of threw off my timing. 5K: 25:23, 8:11 pace, 1st AG/4th Female <– Love small races.

Total Weekly Miles: 17.2
Total November Miles: 30.2
Total Yearly Miles: 988.93
Miles on Current Shoes: 183.79

1. Angela said:

I can totally relate to the “self sabotage”! I am 1/2 looking forward to the Turkey Trot, and 1/2 not!

You’ll do great! You are self motivated enough to teach spinning classes and get others excited about them. I really admire that type of infectious enthusiasm!

Your internal bargain dialouge sounds exactly like what bounces around in my head during a 5K! In the middle of every single one – I ask myself WHY I keep up with this voluntary torture? A well-run 5K can be brutal, no question. Thank goodness it’s worth it at the end. Congrats on the award! Glad you’re back to racing.

“Voluntary torture”, well said! I’m glad I’m not alone on this one. At least the race usually only seems like a bad idea while I’m doing it. I’m already all keyed up to run another one. Go figure.

3. Multiple LOLs at this post, between that internal bargaining and the pisco sours.

I am behind the times and never knew about the “foot incident” until now… yowwwch, who knew tying your shoes could be so dangerous! What do you think happened?

It must feel great to race again — congratulations on the AG award and on fighting back against the internal dialog!

I’m not exactly sure what happened with the foot, but I suspect that I had run for way too long with a stress fracture. I ignored the “uncomfortable” feeling in my foot for months before it finally just broke. I think that squatting down put strain on my plantar fascia which pulled on my sesamoid and the already fractured sesamoid just gave out.

This injury resulted in two realizations. It is important to maintain a good stretching routine after running, even if you think you don’t have time for such nonsense. It is critical to replace worn out running shoes even if you have more exciting things that you would rather spend your money on.

4. Tyler said:

haha, I say those EXACT things to myself everytime I run a 5k! It even starts before the race when I think “well, I could just volunteer and not run. I’m sure they need some volunteers.” Then when I finish and get an award I can’t wait until the next one!
    That’s an awesome time for your first race back though. Congrats!