You know those mornings when you wake up and the only thing that sounds good for breakfast is pizza?
You don’t have those mornings? No, I’m not a college student.
Sometimes I have those mornings, but I have finally become sensible enough that I will not usually give in to the urge to eat pizza for breakfast. I will cheat a bit and eat breakfast that tastes like pizza though.
One of Chris’s favorites is cheesy eggs with marinara sauce and tons of sautéed veggies like onions, peppers, and mushrooms. The Hawaiian frittata is another example of breakfast that tastes like pizza.
Eggs: Meet Hawaiian pizza.
It was meant to be.
Next mission: Figure out how to make a legitimate breakfast taste like BBQ chicken pizza!
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mushroom slices
- 6 thin slices Canadian bacon
- 3 pineapple rings, chopped (or about 3/4 cup diced pineapple)
- 3 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 2 oz reduced fat swiss cheese
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- olive oil spray
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees (on convection if possible).
- Chop veggies and Canadian bacon.
- Saute onions for several minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and cook 10 more minutes.
- Beat together eggs, egg whites, milk, cheese, and Italian seasoning.
- Spray a pie plate with olive oil spray.
- Pour onions, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, and pineapple into pie plate.
- Pour egg mixture over the veggies.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until eggs are fluffy.
- Consider serving with some barbecue sauce for dipping.
Servings ~ 4
Calories ~ 198, Fat ~ 7 g, Carbohydrates ~ 12 g, Protein ~ 22 g