Oven Fried Green Beans with Wasabi Dipping Sauce

After letting these green beans sit in my refrigerator for far longer than should be acceptable, I decided to give in and bread them. I seem to be on a faux frying kick lately.

We had awesome fried green beans a few weekends ago when we went out for lunch downtown. They were supposed to be served with a curried mayonnaise dipping sauce, but the restaurant was all out of it and gave us ketchup instead. On one hand, I was bummed. On the other hand, I knew that I didn’t need to be dipping fried food into mayo.

I briefly considered making curried mayo for these, but gave in to better judgement and chose a sour cream based wasabi dipping sauce. Chris and I both really liked the wasabi sauce and liked it even better when double dipped in ketchup. Tastes like cocktail sauce, huh? Mmmm.

Maybe next time we’ll do a shrimp and green bean dinner. That totally sounds like an odd combo, but we’re not above having odd dinners at Duke’s House and it would be tasty, trust me!

Green Beans adapted from Jordie Porgie.
Wasabi Dipping Sauce adapted from My Recipes.

Oven Fried Green Beans Ingredients:

• 1 lb. fresh green beans
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 1 egg
  • olive oil spray

Oven Fried Green Bean Directions:

• Wash and trim green beans and cut into halves and thoroughly dry them.
  • In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne.
  • Whisk eggs to break them up completely.
  • Pre-heat oven to 425.
  • Coat a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
  • Keeping one hand dry and one hand wet, dip a green bean in the eggs, lift it out and shake off any excess egg, put green bean in bread crumbs mixture and coat completely, lift out and shake off any excess bread crumbs, then transfer green bean to prepared baking sheet.
  • Repeat with remaining green beans.
  • Bake for about 30 minutes, turning once, until browned, crispy, and tender to the bite.
  • Serve hot. We like ours with wasabi dipping sauce and then double dipped in ketchup. (Horseradish sauce would work too!)

Servings ~ 4
Calories ~ 134, Fat ~ 2 g, Carbohydrates ~ 25 g, Protein 6 g

Wasabi Dipping Sauce Ingredients:

• 1/2  cup  reduced fat sour cream
  • 1/2  teaspoon  grated lemon peel
  • 1  teaspoon  lemon juice
  • 1 1/2  to 2 teaspoons prepared wasabi

Wasabi Dipping Sauce Directions:

• Combine ingredients.
  • Adjust wasabi/sour cream to taste.

Servings ~ 4
Calories ~ 42, Fat ~ 4 g, Carbohydrates ~ 1 g, Protein 1 g

1. shelby said:

Oh man, I LOVE tempura green beans. How awesome that you found a way to make them healthy! Gonna try this soon!

I’m pretty stoked about it. The best part is that it is super easy!

I totally want to try this! I know I still have some beans that need to be used up too, so maybe I’ll get going on these tonight. Yum.

3. lifeisbeachykeen said:

Yes! These look yummy- I remember you commented on my green bean issues a few weeks back and I never saw this post on your blog! I currently have some green beans sitting in the fridge waiting to get eaten. This will go in line with my “Eat what we already have” mentality this week! Yay! {except I think i’m out of bread crumbs, bummer}

well, ya can’t win ’em all. I’m still trying these this week!

4. Anonymous said:

I made these for dinner last night, and they were delicious! The breading with the little kick of cayenne is wonderful. Rather than dipping each bean individually, though, I found it much easier to toss a handful of beans into the egg, shake off a few at a time, and put them into a gallon ziploc baggie of the breadcrumb mixture. Once the handful in the egg were all shaken off, I sealed the ziploc & shook. Still took a while to get a whole pound of beans done, but DEFINATELY worth the effort! I substituted lime for the lemon in the sauce recipe, and I can’t imagine lemon being any better. I could eat that sauce on anything! mmmm. To quote my hubby — “If eating healthy always tasted this good, I’d be a lot skinnier.” Thanks for the great recipe.

Glad that you liked them! They were a huge hit at my house!

5. Shauna said:

Great recipe! I was looking for something to treat my husband with this weekend and this will do the trick! We love the fried green beans at TGIF’s but I definitely don’t like the fried aspect! Thanks for posting ❤

I hope you like them! We sure did!

6. Sarah Smith said:

You have made my day! I just got really sad when I looked up the actual calories in these at TGI Friday’s because I’ve been craving them. I decided to do a search for a healthier way to cook them and wallah, there you were. Thanks so much! I’ll report back once I make them :).

7. Charyl said:

question: can I opt to fry them instead?? My oven broke last month and it’s bumming me that I can’t make baked snacks like these anymore 😦