I really like grilled eggplant lately. Lucky for me, I keep getting eggplants in my CSA box. I don’t think that I have ever grilled one until this summer. I had tried making a variety of baked eggplant dishes, but I was never able to get the texture that I desired in the oven. My grilled eggplant seems to be a lot more firm. As an added bonus, it cooks much more quickly as well.
Enough about food. On to running. If you read my blog regularly, you have probably noticed that I have switch from running to biking for a little while because I hurt my foot. It is seriously driving me crazy. I did another spinning podcast today, which was really great – if you have biking in mind for your workout. I do not. (No offense cyclists, its just that I want to run!)
I think it is wearing on me a lot more in the past few days because this week I dropped out of the two races that I had left on my schedule this fall. That pretty much means that I will have to wait until March to race again. Very sad. The good news is that the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon race coordinator allowed me to transfer my entry to next year. I’m really thankful for that because at least I’m not out the entry fee and the race.
Hopefully I will be able to start running on grass soon. That’ll be fun. Picture me running hundreds of laps around the inside of a track somewhere for a few months. Yippee! (That was kind of sarcastic, kind of not.)
On the upside, my shoes will probably last for at least a month or two longer than I had originally anticipated.
- Yogurt Mint Sauce
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper (The original recipe called for 1 tsp, which I found was a bit too spicy for me. I think that 1/2 tsp should be more than enough!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grilled Eggplant
- 2 eggplants (each about 1 pound), cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick rounds
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds, cracked
- Slice eggplant crosswise into 1/2″ thick slices.
- Place eggplant slices on a paper towel, lightly salt both sides of the eggplant and let it rest on the paper towel for 10-15 minutes until some of the juice has drained from the eggplant.
- Mix the yogurt sauce ingredients in medium bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate yogurt sauce.
- Heat a grill to a medium-high heat.
- Lightly brush both sides of the eggplant with sesame oil.
- Sprinkle the eggplant with coriander, salt, and pepper.
- Grill until slightly charred, about 6 minutes per side. (To make fancy grill marks, rotate 90 degrees after about 3 minutes of cooking on each side.)
- Serve the eggplant with yogurt-mint sauce.
Servings ~ 2
Calories ~ 57, Fat ~ 0 g, Carbohydrates ~ 9 g, Protein ~ 6 g
Servings ~ 2 (As a meal, 4 as an appetizer.)
Calories ~ 177, Fat ~ 8 g, Carbohydrates ~ 27 g, Protein ~ 5 g