We went all out for breakfast yesterday morning. Ok, maybe not all out, but this was way fancier than our typical breakfasts.
I am an oatmeal girl, at least five days per week. Lately I have been making overnight oats with almond milk and blueberries. Chris favors bagels, two whole wheat un-toasted, no toppings. I don’t think his breakfast choice is exciting enough for me to eat week in and week out, but it is efficient, that’s for sure. As long as he is happy, I am happy!
The divergence from our normal breakfast was due mostly in part to me being sleepy and trying to put off mountain biking for later. I successfully delayed us for at least an hour or so.
These things were awesome! I made mine with four scrambled egg whites instead of the two over-medium eggs pictured, but I understand that egg whites are not so popular with everyone.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cups corn (I used frozen.)
- 2/3 cups black beans
- 8 eggs
- 4 oz jalapeño cheddar, shredded
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- 8 tbsp sour cream (I used reduced fat.)
- diced tomato (optional)
- hot sauce to taste
- olive oil spray
- Chop onion, then sauté in a skillet with olive oil spray.
- Just before the onions turn translucent, add the corn and black beans and continue to cook until all of the ingredients are evenly heated.
- Cook eggs, over-medium.
- While eggs are cooking, place tortillas (lightly sprayed with olive oil) in a broiler to heat them until they are pliable.
- Top each tortilla shell with one egg, several spoonfuls of the black bean mixture, 1/8 avocado (sliced), 1/2 ounce of shredded cheese, and 1 tbsp of sour cream.
Servings ~ 4
Calories (with whole eggs) ~ 553, Fat ~ 34 g, Carbohydrates ~ 41 g, Protein ~ 26 g
Calories (with egg whites) ~ 490, Fat ~ 26 g, Carbohydrates ~ 41 g, Protein ~ 35 g