If you have ever joined a CSA, you know that it is very important to have a plan for each piece of produce that you are get or they can easily go to waste. When I first picked up my CSA vegetables last week, I was having a little trouble creating a “plan” for my eggplant.
The first thing that came to mind was eggplant parmesan, but that didn’t strike my fancy. Who wants to eat a heavy, hot food in the middle of July. Certainly not me. Plus, that plan didn’t involve using any of the other veggies from my CSA box.
Finally it hit me – Baba Ganoush!
So obvious, or it should have been anyway, but it did not come to me right away. Now we have made it two times and it has yet to survive longer than 12 hours in our refrigerator. It is almost too good!
Adapted from Fat Free Vegan.
- 1 large eggplant, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Use a fork to poke several holes in the eggplant.
- Grill eggplant over medium-high heat, rotating periodically until the skin is dark and the eggplant softens.
- This will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool until you are able to peel it. I was able to do so right away using barbecue tongs and a long thin knife.
- Peel the eggplant and put it in a food processor with the remaining ingredients.
- Process until smooth.
- Serve with pitas, raw vegetables, or crackers.
Servings ~ 4
Calories ~ 58, Fat ~ 2 g, Carbohydrates ~ 10 g, Protein ~ 2 g