Kentucky Derby Festival Mini Marathon

Saturday morning I woke up at the crack of dawn, well, several hours before the crack of dawn, to get ready for my race and drive down to Louisville. I was extremely bummed out and unmotivated to get up because Chris had hurt his back earlier in the week and had decided to sit this one out.

When I got out of the shower, I was surprised to hear the coffee maker going. I wondered if Chris had gotten up to make me coffee? Or perhaps he had decided to brave the rain and come watch me run?

I peered outside to see the torrential downpour then decided to go bug Chris.

“Are you coming? Can I wear my rain coat and pass it to you a few minutes into the race?”


Ok, then. Maybe he wasn’t going. I continued to get ready anyway and was in the middle of crafting a rain-proof suit made of carefully cut garbage bags when Chris came into the kitchen clearly dressed in his running gear.

This totally made my day. As I watched the rain come down outside, I had contemplated just going back to bed and skipping the race. With Chris running now, I suddenly felt this “let’s go run in the rain so we feel tough and have a good story” camaraderie.

When we arrived in Louisville, we had to park at the finish line then get bussed to the starting line. This went pretty smoothly until we realized that there was no way we would get to the front of the bathroom line before the race started. We waited as long as we dared, then got into our corral sans bathroom break. Bummer, that means wasting a few minutes stopping along the course.

That was my only major complaint about this race, the lack of bathrooms at the start. There were not very many on the course either, but that isn’t a huge concern for me if I get to go at the starting line.

It rained on and off as we traverse the hilly course and mostly cleared up by the time we got to the finish line. The humidity really got to me, especially as it got warmer out. Even if I had given this race my all, I do not think it would have been feasible for me to beat my Sam Costa time from last month.

We ended up finishing in 2:18:58. The slowest half marathon yet for both of us. I’m cool with it though. It was much more fun to run together than it would have been to aim for a ‘good’ time in that humidity.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: