This simple dish hit the spot on one of our last 90 degree August evenings. I liked that there was no actual cooking required and that since it is served cold I could actually stand to eat it outside.
In the last few weeks of summer, I have been trying to make a conscious effort to use our back porch more. We seem to gravitate indoors during June and July when the heat combined with the humidity can make it absolutely stifling to hang out outside. August has still been warm, but not especially humid.
The fresh flavor of this dish would work great with grilled chicken or grilled fish.
From Cate’s World Kitchen.
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- Toss the zucchini with salt and let stand 5 minutes.
- Drain off any liquid that accumulates in the bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and mint, and let stand for about 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust lemon, mint, and salt, then top with walnuts to serve.
Servings ~ 2
Calories ~ 70, Fat ~ 5 g, Carbohydrates ~ 5 g, Protein ~ 2 g